Friday, May 3, 2013

Server Series I

Working as a waiter in a restaurant may pay the bills but it can be creatively draining. Which is why I try to stimulate my artistic muscles as much as possible  while working. I do this by doodling or sketching some of the restaurant customers. Also, I write down ideas or thoughts about life or artwork I want to pursue or concepts I find interesting.
In addition, I started a series of collaged sketches, drawn while working at the restaurant. The writing you see are not my thoughts but rather the food orders I take from customers. I've saved all the orders I take with the intention of creating multiple collaged pieces. I find my written orders interesting because of the mindlessness and genuineness of them. Very often I'm busy at work with multiple tables to attend to, so when taking orders I'm not thinking which color pen to use or how my penmanship looks. They're purely information needed in that moment. Even if my spelling is wrong or my handwriting is illegible, as long as I can understand it, thats all that matters. And thats what I like about it.







No comments:

Post a Comment